Township FAQ

 If you are expanding your pa What are your normal business hours?

The township office is open Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 pm.


What holidays are observed by the township?

The township office is closed on the following holidays:

  • New Years Day
  • Martin Luther King Day
  • President’s Day
  • Good Friday
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Columbus Day
  • Veterans Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Friday after Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day


Do I need a building permit for my project?

Yes, you must submit a permit for all construction projects as well as a fence, shed or a change in use of a property.  Permits are not required for sealing driveways, painting, wall-papering, new flooring, sidewalks, replacement windows, swings and replacement of siding or roofs (unless their is a structural change).


What should I do if the street light is out or broken?

If you notice a street light outage, please obtain the 2 pole numbers located at the bottom of the pole, the one begins with a “4” and the other with an “S” and call the township office at (717) 336-8720 with this information.  We need this information to report the light outage to PPL.


What forms of payment does the township accept?

The township accepts cash, check, credit card, money order or certified check.


Can I pay my bill online?

Yes, you can pay your bill online through our website.

Water/Sewer Payments – Click on Water/Sewer Payment icon on home page.  Water/Sewer payments ONLY!

Township Payments – Click on Online Payment icon on home page.  This is for building permits, street light taxes, pavilion rentals and septic system payments.


Do you have an before/after hours drop box?

Yes!  The township has an after hours drop box on the outside of the building.  It is to the right of the front door.  You may drop off water/sewer payment, street light payments, building permit applications and septic pumping reports.  In a hurry?  You don’t have to come into the office, can use the drop box any time during the day as well.


I am interested in attending a meeting?  When are they?

Meetings are held monthly in the township meeting room at 7:00 p.m. on the following days:

Board of Supervisors – 1st Thursday and 3rd Tuesday

Planning Commission – 2nd Monday

Authority – 2nd Tuesday

Zoning Hearing – 2nd Thursday

Park Board – 4th Wednesday


How often does the township newsletter go out?

The newsletter is sent out twice per year.  The spring/summer edition is normally sent out the middle of March, and the fall/winter edition is sent out the middle of September.


How to I go about renting a pavilion in one of the township parks?

Anyone may reserve a pavilion in any of the township parks: Chapel Gate, Main Street or Schoeneck.  The rental fee is $100 and is non-refundable.  Please call the township office at 717-336-8720 to make your reservation.


How often does my septic system need to be pumped out?

On-lot septic systems must be pumped out every 3 years.  When your system is pumped, please send a copy of the septic report to the township office to be kept on file.  Please do not send a copy of the invoice.


I did not receive my taxes for this year, who do I contact?

Spring Taxes – sent to you by the County of Lancaster.  Payments are to be made to the Treasurer of Lancaster.  If you have questions about your spring taxes,  call 717-299-8222.

Fall Taxes (School Tax) – sent to you by Cocalico School District.  Payments are to be made to the Cocalico School District.  If you have questions about your fall taxes,  call 717-336-1406.

Street Light Tax – sent to you by West Cocalico Township.  Payments are to be made to West Cocalico Township.  If you have questions about your street light tax, call 717-336-8720.


Where do I find out about fire company events/fundraisers?

We always list several fire company events in our newsletter or visit the fire company websites/Facebook pages:

Reinholds Fire

Schoeneck Fire


When do the Street Light Taxes get mailed out?

Street Light taxes get mailed out annually on March 1.


How many yard sales can I have per year?

You may have as many yard sales as you would like, and West Cocalico Township does not require a permit to hold a yard sale.  No yard sale signs are permitted to be nailed, stapled or taped to utility poles.


Where do I find the West Cocalico Township Snow Removal Policy?

At the top of the page, you will see “Common Resources”, under that headline, you will find the township snow removal policy.


When is Trick-or-Treat held?

Trick-or-Treat will be held every year on October 31 from 6pm – 8pm, with a rain date of November 1.


How do I donate a tree in memory of a loved one?

If you would like to donate a tree to one of the township parks in memory of a loved one, please contact the township office or attend a Park Board meeting held the 4th Wednesday of each month, 7:00 p.m.  Check events calendar for location of meeting.


Does West Cocalico Township have a woody waste disposal site?

West Cocalico Township does not have a woody waste disposal site, however you can can call Martin’s Mulch and they will help dispose of your woody waste such as tree branches, shrubs, etc.  for a small fee.  You can contact them by calling 717-733-1602.


Where can I park my recreational vehicle?

All recreational vehicles MUST be parked on an all weather surface such as: gravel, macadam or concrete.  They are NOT to be parked on grass.  If you are expanding your parking area, you must notify the township of this change.


What can I do about stray dogs and/or cats?