Frequently Asked Questions

Where is West Cocalico Township office located?

156B West Main Street, (Route 897), we share a parking lot with the Reinholds Fire Company.


When are Township Meetings held?

Board of Supervisors – First Thursday and Third Tuesday

Planning Commission – Second Monday

Zoning Hearing Board – Second Thursday

Park and Recreation Commission – Fourth Wednesday

Authority – Second Tuesday

All meetings are held in the Township Meeting Room and begin at 7pm

See the calendar on home page


When is the township office closed?

The township office is closed on the following holidays:

New Years Day

Martin Luther King Day

President’s Day

Good Friday

Memorial Day

Independence Day

Labor Day

Columbus Day

Veterans Day

Thanksgiving Day

Friday after Thanksgiving

Christmas Day


When are Water Bills mailed out?  What if I do not receive my bill?

The West Cocalico Water Authority reads your water meters four times a year.

Sump Pumps may not be connected to the public sewer system as this overloads the sewer treatment plant. Water and Sewer bills are mailed on a quarterly basis.  You should receive your bill, per the following schedule:

1st Qtr.  (Jan/Feb/Mar)  by April 15th

2nd Qtr. (Apr/May/June) by July 15th

3rd Qtr.  (July/Aug/Sept)  by October 15th

4th Qtr.   (Oct/Nov/Dec) by January 15th

If you don’t receive a bill or have any questions, please call the Authority at (717) 336-6265.


What happens if my door is posted?

Doors are posted when your account is two quarters behind.   If your door is posted, payment will  ONLY be accepted in the form of  CASH or CERTIFIED MONEY ORDER in order to get your account up-to-date.


When are Street Light Taxes mailed out?  I did not receive my Street Light Tax?

Street Light Taxes are mailed annually on or about March 1 of every year.  If you do not receive your Street Light Tax, please contact the Township Office at (717) 336-8720.


What happens if I don’t pay my Street Light Tax?

A standard letter will go out to the homeowner in September as a reminder to pay the Street Light Tax.  If left unpaid, a certified letter will go out to the homeowner in late-October reminding them that the Street Light Tax is due in full within 30 days of receipt of the certified letter.    If the Street Light Tax goes unpaid, a lien will be placed on the property.  To get the lien released from the property, the homeowner must pay the street light tax, certified mail fees, filing fees and solicitor fees.


What method of payment can I use to pay my bills?

The township accepts cash, check or money order ONLY.  At this time, we do not accept credit cards.


How do I rent a pavilion at one of the township parks?

You can call the Township Office (717) 336-8720 reserve a pavilion.  You will also need to fill out a Pavilion Rental Agreement, that can be found under the About Us tab on the website.  The agreement must be filled out, signed and submitted with the $50 rental fee.


What does it cost to rent a pavilion?

The cost to rent a pavilion is $50/day.

Chapel Gate Park & Schoeneck Park ONLY kitchen area – A key is needed to access the refrigerator and additional area. This can be picked up at the Township Office (Mon-Fri 8:00-4:30) up to two days before the rental date. An additional $50.00 refundable fee is required when the key is picked up and the fee is refunded when the key is returned.


How can I register to vote?

Visit the Helpful Links page and click on Voter Services


My street light is out, who do I call?

Call the Township Office at (717) 336-8720.  We will report it to PP&L.  In order to speed this process, it would be helpful to get the 2 sets of numbers from the pole.  The first number will start with a “4”. The bottom number will begin with the letter “S”, and also provide the nearest address to the pole.


What do I do if a tree is down on a roadway?

Do not attempt to remove the tree; there could be live power lines down as well.  Contact the Township Office (717) 336-8720.  The PA State Police can also be contacted at (717) 299-7650.


Is there a place that I could recycle my yard waste?

For a small fee, Martin’s Mulch, Ephrata will help dispose of your woody waste such as tree branches, shrubs, etc.  You can call Martin’s at (717)733-1602.


Can I burn my trash?

You must obtain a Burning Permit from the Township Office during regular office hours (Monday – Friday 8:00am – 4:30 pm).  Open burning is only permitted between sunrise and sunset.  A responsible person shall control and supervise any open burning at all times and it shall be so controlled as not to be offensive to others.  A burn permit is available for a maximum of 30 days.


Who do I call if I have a noise complaint?

For an excessive noise disruption contact the Ephrata Police Department at (717) 738-9265.


Tax Questions?

County & Township Tax Bill (Spring Taxes) mailed to you by the County of Lancaster.  Payments are to be made to the Treasurer of Lancaster.  If you have any questions about your Spring Taxes, please call (717) 299-8222.

School Tax (Fall Taxes)mailed to you by the Cocalico School District.  If you have questions, please call (717) 336-1406.

Street Light Taxes – This is the only tax mailed to you by West Cocalico Township.  If you have questions, please call (717) 336-8720.


When is the Zoning Officer in?

The Zoning Officer has office hours on the following days:

Tuesdays – AM

Thursdays – PM

The Zoning Officer is Matthew Mack, Mack Engineering.  He can be reached at (717) 990-8449 or email him at


How do I apply for a building permit?

Applications for all Building/Zoning Permits are available at the Township Office or on the township website.  If you have any questions regarding the application process, contact the Township Office at (717)336-8720.


Do I need a permit for a pool?

All pools with a filter system require a permit even the blue inflatable pools.  See the Swimming Pool Fact Sheet under the tab Building Permits.


Do I need a permit to repave/resurface my driveway?

No, you do not need a permit to repave or resurface a driveway.  If you are making any repairs to the driveway such as extending or expanding, then yes, you will need a permit before any work may take place.


Zoning Ordinances?

Zoning Ordinances are available to download from the Township Website or you may purchase a booklet in the Township Office for $38.


What to do if a neighboring property has very high grass and no one is maintaining it?

Any grass or weeds 6 inches or more in height should be reported to the Township Office at (717) 336-8720.  If the property has been abandoned keep in mind there is no quick fix.  There is a certain process that must be followed.  This may take some time.  Please be patient, we understand your concern.